Understanding the efficiency rating of your furnace or boiler can help you make better decisions regarding a replacement or repair. If you know what values to look for, you can easily narrow down on the system that best fits your needs. Today, All Seasons, Inc., one of the top air conditioning companies in the area, explains the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating or AFUE.
What Is the AFUE?
AFUE measures how efficient a furnace or boiler is at converting the energy in its fuel to heat over the course of a year. The AFUE is the ratio of the annual heat output of the heating unit compared with the total annual fossil energy consumed by the unit. Simply put, an AFUE of 80% means that 80% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat while the other 20% is lost. Remember, however, that the AFUE doesn’t take into account the heat losses caused by the duct system or piping.
All-electric furnaces or boilers have no flue losses through a chimney and they have high AFUE ratings, ranging from 95-100%. However, even if they are highly efficient, the high cost of electricity can make them an uneconomical choice. All Seasons Inc., one of the top local furnace companies, can study your home and lifestyle to determine what kind of heating system is best for you. A high AFUE rating is only one part of the story.
Improving Your Heating System’s Efficiency
You can increase your heating system’s efficiency by retrofitting your current system or replacing it entirely. Weigh the pros and cons before retrofitting your system. If you have to replace your heating system within a few years, we recommend replacing your current system instead. Modern heating systems are much more efficient than older furnaces and boilers. Thanks to their high AFUE ratings, you can end up paying less on your energy bills.
All Seasons Inc. can help you with all of your heating system needs. We specialize in all things heating and offer advanced Carrier® products that use the latest technologies. Our technicians are NATE®-certified and we are proud two-time recipients of the Carrier President’s Award, for the quality of our services.
Call us at (253) 203-6200 to learn more about our services and products or to get a free estimate. We serve Puyallup, Tacoma, and nearby areas in WA.